QuickTopic logo Create New TopicNew Topic My TopicsMy Topics News
Skip to Messages


Job Injury Help and Information for U. S. Postal Service Employees

On The Job Injury Help and Information
Please visit our homepage Postal Employee Network
^     All messages            12629-12648 of 12648  12609-12628 >>
SnowedPerson was signed in when posted
11:23 PM ET (US)
I would say go to the doctor once a month and explain you need PT closer to home. Unfortunately all pain management is under pressure to cut opiod meds. I would consider alternative pain therapies for pain.
throwed under the busPerson was signed in when posted
06:58 PM ET (US)
I went to ifwaa, here in georgia only one place which is 2.5 hr drive from me. They said could help but had to stay in compliance with them which would mean once a month to their doctor and possibly 2-3 times a week with physical therapy and all of this would be close to Atlanta. This would be a lot and then owcp does not want to pay over 100 miles and its adding more stress to me which my oncology encourages me to refrain from. I have not seen a doctor since February, I called in for a refill for pain meds and was referred to a pain managment facility. They cut my pain med in half every 12 hours.What do I do? I am hurting, they want me to bring pill bottle to appointment and if I have taken more than the 30 day supply then they think I am addicting to pills. I am waiting for union to help with an appeal because benefits was cut in half. People, I am yelling out for help!
SnowedPerson was signed in when posted
09:31 PM ET (US)
You will have to contact SSA. Once you start receiving SS based on age not disability then OWCP will offset. I do not know enough about how SSD converts to Regular SSA when it involves a spouse collecting on your record.
Patrick APerson was signed in when posted
02:44 AM ET (US)

What your saying is that when I reach full retirement age they will start offsetting my OWCP Benefit ?
I read somewhere that my full retirement age is 67, it might be 66 I will have to look at the Soc. Sec. Web-Site again. I will be 65 in a few days. So that is why I am confused. My wife applied to get part of my Social Security (she never paid into Soc.Sec. in the entire time she work for the Elementary School District and just retired)
VWPerson was signed in when posted
11:43 AM ET (US)

You can write a letter to OWCP informing them you are requesting to switch from OPM Retirement benefits to wage-loss compensation. They will require a medical report showing your are totally disabled from working and they will also inquire as to the date you became totally disabled from working. It is very important that you put the correct date. If you have been on DR for a while but have also been totally disabled for that entire period, OWCP will owe you back-pay for the difference OPM was paying and what you should have been getting if you were on wage-loss compensation.
Dave KirtleyPerson was signed in when posted
05:57 PM ET (US)
Congratulations on your retirement. Please forgive my references and I especially appreciate people who reach out to people as long as you have.
I wish you and your Posters: Good Health and H.O.P.E. ( Help Other People Everyday )

My Apologies,

Dave Kirtley :aka: "DirtyDave"
jjmvPerson was signed in when posted
02:07 PM ET (US)
Okay any and all advice as to how to transfer from OPM disability or from OWCP disability I contacted OPM and they informed me as long as I am disable I can switch to FECA benefits I requested to OWCP but they haven't replied
Rick OwensPerson was signed in when posted
10:21 AM ET (US)
Dave - I retired in 2007. Please - no ads in PEN's forums.
SnowedPerson was signed in when posted
08:59 PM ET (US)
Find a good forensic doctor...one who knows how and is willing to write a good causality report.
tcarteePerson was signed in when posted
08:45 PM ET (US)
I tore my meniscus on the job as a rural carrier in 2014 and subsequently had a meniscectomy and returned to duty in July, 2014. I had no knee pain prior to injury (very active, tennis biking, hiking). Have continued to have pain of some degree ever since. Progressively worse. 2 years later twisted knee and accepted by OWCP for derangement of knee. MRI showed severe osteoarthritis. I cannot return to work until I have total knee replacement. What do I need to do to prove that the osteoarthritis was accelerated by original injuty?
Dave KirtleyPerson was signed in when posted
06:34 PM ET (US)
What's Up , Rick? Have you retired yet?

Drop in on FECA HELP and see if DirtyDave has cleaned up his act.


Dave Kirtley ( DirtyDave )
VWPerson was signed in when posted
12:58 PM ET (US)

Without knowing all of the particulars of your case and actually reading the documents I can give you the following advice. If OWCP schedules you for a SECOP, IME or FCE you must attend the exam. Failure to do so will result in the termination of your benefits. If you are on wage-loss compensation it will stop and they will no longer authorize any medical treatment for your injuries.
Since you are on DR it sounds like they are now sending you to the IME for something their SECOP already agreed with. I would attend the IME and wait to see what there report states. The IME is also going to have to review your treating physician's medical along with the SECOP report. If you do not have a copy of those items I would request them immediately. I would also request a copy of the SOAF being sent to the IME examiner along with a copy of the questions being posed to the examiner. Also request a copy of the IME examiners curriculum vitae. If you find something wrong listed in the SOAF, do not mention it until you see the report from the IME. If there are any discrepancies in the SOAF keep that as ammunition in case you have to file an appeal on the IME decision.

What it seems like they are doing is still sending you to the IME because your doctor states you cannot work but the SECOP states you can work 8 hours a day. Again not privy to all of the particulars. If the IME agrees with the SECOP and says you can work the 8 hours a day, if you ever go back on OWCP wage-loss compensation they will have your employing agency submit a suitable job offer to get you off of wage-loss compensation.
Edited 06-16-2016 01:17 PM
SnowedPerson was signed in when posted
09:15 PM ET (US)
At full retirement age OWCP will offset $1 for $1 regular SS benefits received on account of federal service.
SnowedPerson was signed in when posted
09:11 PM ET (US)
"2. When offset stops

Reduction of DIB for receipt of WC/PDB stops when one or more of these occur:
the NH is no longer disabled;
DIB terminates;
the NH’s benefits are suspended for SGA;
lump sum proration ends;
periodic WC/PDB ends;
SSA recognizes a reverse offset plan per DI 52105.001;
a high ACE precludes offset (due to a triennial redetermination or a reduction in the WC/PDB payment);
the NH elects reduced retirement insurance benefits (RIB). For information, see DI 52150.030; or
the NH dies.
Reduction of DIB for receipt of WC/PDB also stops when the NH attains:
full retirement age (FRA) for individuals who attain age 65 on 12/19/15 or later (based on the new law in the 2015 Amendment);
age 65 for individuals covered by the 1981 Amendments and who attain age 65 prior to 12/19/15 ; or
age 62 (in pre-1981 Amendment cases).
NOTE: For information regarding all amendments, see DI 52101.005." https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0452101001
Patrick APerson was signed in when posted
05:26 PM ET (US)

I am on OWCP and when I went on OWCP they told me I had to apply for OPM and Social Security. I was approved for Soc. Sec. Since then OWCP has offset my Soc.Sec. I will be 65 soon, How will that effect my OWCP/Soc. Sec. ? Do you have any idea or information?

I do not or did not work for the Post Offic, But I worked for the DOD, I am a FER'S employee.
Edited 06-15-2016 05:28 PM
SnowedPerson was signed in when posted
05:53 PM ET (US)
Make sure SS knows of your OWCP payments so you do not get socked with an over payment.
SnowedPerson was signed in when posted
05:52 PM ET (US)
Unless there is a reason to retire now, why do it? You will get credit for each year you are on OWCP and also on the your agency rolls. The annuity may also be enhanced.. See: https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/pu...ers/2004/04-105.pdf You can apply for SSD now even while still on the rolls of your agency. SSD took 2.5 years for me to get approved. SSD will be offset by workers comp until your full retirement age. You can take regular retirement when you are ready. You will not get a reduction of either SSD or OPM regular retirement.
^     All messages            12629-12648 of 12648  12609-12628 >>